9 Indian Standards Released by Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)

The Indian Standards will significantly complement the objectives of the Global Biofuel Alliance (GBA), the multilateral forum announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the G20 leaders’ summit held recently in New Delhi.

The key standards would aid stakeholders including manufacturers, traders, and other entities dealing with biofuel or related matters. By espousing the ethanol blending program and the objectives of the GBA, BIS has developed the following nine Indian standards on biofuels:

  1. IS 15464: 2022 Anhydrous Ethanol for Use as Blending Component in Motor Gasoline – Specification
  2. IS 15607: 2022 Biodiesel B-100 – Fatty Acid Methyl Esters FAME – Specification
  3. IS 16087: 2016 Biogas (Biomethane) – Specification (First Revision)
  4. IS 16531: 2022 Biodiesel Diesel Fuel Blend B8 to B20 Specification
  5. IS 16629: 2017 Hydrous ethanol for use in ED95 automotive fuel – Specification
  6. IS 16634: 2017 E85 fuel (Blend Of Anhydrous Ethanol And Gasoline) – Specification
  7. IS 17021: 2018 E 20 fuel – Admixture of anhydrous ethanol and gasoline – As fuel for spark-ignited engine-powered vehicles – Specification
  8. IS 17081: 2019 Aviation turbine fuel (Kerosene Type, Jet A – 1) containing synthesized hydrocarbons – Specification
  9. IS 17821: 2022 Ethanol as a Fuel for Use in Positive Ignition Engine Powered Vehicles – Specification

The development of a standard on paraffinic (green) diesel, which is derived from 2G (Second-Generation) feedstock, is also under progress.

This set of standards will help:

• Increase the capacity of biofuel production

• Meet the target of net zero by 2070 and 50% energy through renewable sources

• Achieve other objectives such as Make in India, Atmanirbhar Bharat, Waste to Wealth, and increasing farmers’ income

During the 18th G20 Summit under the presidency of India in New Delhi, the G20 leaders launched the Global Biofuel Alliance (GBA)

• It is a forum of 30 countries and international institutions to facilitate the adoption of biofuels

• It is an India-led initiative towards the goal of sustainability and clean energy

• It aims at achieving worldwide development and deployment of sustainable biofuels through the formulation of national policy, development of the marketplace, the evolution of technological competency, and adoption and implementation of internationally recognized standards and codes of practice.

Bio Fuel Market:

• The USA, Brazil, and India are the major producers and consumers of biofuels that collectively contribute to 85% of production and 81% of consumption of ethanol globally.

• The global ethanol market was valued at $99 bn (Approx. ₹823,500 crore) in 2022 and is expected to grow at an annual growth rate of 5% by 2032

• It creates a huge opportunity for Indian industries and contributes to farmers’ income, job creation and overall development of the Indian ecosystem.

• Currently, about 98% of the fuel requirement in India for the transportation sector is met by fossil fuels and the remaining 2% by biofuels.

• India’s import of petroleum in 2020-2021 cost about $55 bn (Approx. ₹457,500 crore) to the exchequer.

• The Russia-Ukraine war has spiked global oil prices and the import of oil and gas with inflated prices has further burdened the Indian economy.

• Blending ethanol up to 20% with gasoline will lead to savings of around $4 bn (Approx. ₹33,200 crore).

Measures Taken:

• The Indian Oil Manufacturing Companies (OMCs) are working towards provisioning new distilleries for the production of 1G and 2G ethanol.

• The Indian vehicle manufacturers are developing engines compliant with ethanol-blended fuel

• The government has started an interest subvention scheme for molasses and grain-based distilleries to promote ethanol production.

It is foreseen that flex-fuel vehicles, which are capable of utilising ethanol-blended gasoline up to 85% and are already operational in the USA and Brazil, are soon to make an entry in India.

Posted in Current Affairs.